Demand for mid-level, top managers rises

Electrical engineers check the operation of the control room in Sông Bung 4 Hydropower Plant in central Quảng Nam Province’s Nam Giang District. Electrical engineers were one of the most recruited positions in the first quarter of this year.

Recruitment demands for mid-level and senior managers for enterprises nationwide rose dramatically during the first quarter of the year, according to recruitment companies.

A report from Navigos Search, a personnel recruiting agency in Việt Nam, said that recruitment requirements sent by clients to the agency in the first quarter increased by 48 per cent compared to the first quarter of last year.

In March, recruitment demand grew by 50 per cent compared with January, and by 60 per cent over the rate in February. 

Increase in the demand for mid-level managers in industrial and manufacturing ranked first with 29 per cent, followed by consumer goods and retail with 16 per cent, and banking/insurance/securities/finance with 12 per cent.

The most recruited positions were in sales & marketing, IT engineering, electricity/ electronics engineering, and human resources.

In the first quarter, Vietnamese groups and corporations sent many requests for senior personnel to Navigos, the company reported.

All of the groups and corporations said they wanted to develop their companies in a more professional manner after a long period of using family-based management models.

They said they were ready to pay higher salaries to attract Vietnamese or overseas Vietnamese talent.

Navigos said the two positions with the highest salaries were senior directors of a commercial bank and a customer services company, with a monthly salary of more than VNĐ200 million (US$8,888).

Positions with monthly salaries ranging from VNĐ100 million to VNĐ145 million were in the field of health care, customer services, trading and banking.

Lê Bằng Giang, deputy manager of Sài Gòn Hi-Tech Park Training Centre’s consultancy and recruitment department, said the park also saw growth of enterprises’ recruitment demand in the first quarter, with a 30 per cent rise compared to the same period last year.

At the same time, many companies had opened plants in the industrial park, leading to higher recruitment demand, Giang said.

For instance, South Korea’s Samsung Electronics reported a need for a large number of managers. The firm’s expansion has led to the opening of more tech support service companies serving Samsung in the park.

At the beginning of the year, a number of enterprises’ mid-level and senior managers changed jobs to seek better working opportunities, he said.

The salary for managers and directors was reported to be $1,000 to more than $1,500.

Giang said that foreign-direct invested companies needed to fill 70 per cent of the positions in the first quarter with foreign managers or directors, and the remaining 30 per cent with Vietnamese.

Vietnamese managers and directors have a number of disadvantages in the period of globalisation, including poor foreign language skills and lack of professional knowledge, critical thinking and professionalism, Giang said.

“Việt Nam’s education sector should map out a route for innovation step-by-step,” he added.


Nguyễn Thị Vân Anh, managing director of Navigos Search, said there was a constant demand for domestic sources of mid-level and senior managers, which are in short supply.

For instance, many enterprises need to recruit hundreds of bridge software engineers for a one-year project but have not been able to do so.

The candidates not only need to be qualified for the position but also speak either Japanese or English.

More and more banks are trying to recruit digital banking staff, according to the report, but this has been difficult because the sector is new in Việt Nam.  

Anh said that enterprises should focus on training programmes, including those for directors or management trainees.

They should also build their brand names to attract mid-level and senior human resources and devise policies to help employees develop “a strong attachment” to the company, she said.

Source: Vietnamnews

Partager cette page Partager sur FacebookPartager sur TwitterPartager sur Linkedin


Implantez-vous au Vietnam !